CWIT Student Assistants 2017 -2018
The Center for Women in Technology (CWIT) is seeking two student assistants to support CWIT initiatives -- including the CWIT Affiliates Program (www.cwit.umbc.edu/affiliates), which strives to foster community among women in the College of Engineering and Information Technology (COEIT). CWIT is dedicated to increasing the representation of women and other minorities in engineering and computing majors and fields.
Description: The position begins as soon as the first day of classes for Fall 2017 (exact date is negotiable) and ends as late as the last day of classes for Spring 2018 (with the possibility of renewal for additional semesters; student assistants will not work during the winter session). Specific job tasks may include:
- Implementing an overall marketing strategy for CWIT Affiliates events in coordination CWIT staff. This includes capturing the attention of women students (and others who are interested) in COEIT using myUMBC groups, Facebook, Twitter and printed materials.
- Communicating regularly with COEIT students about CWIT programs and events throughout the semester.
- Working with CWIT staff, the CWIT Student Council, and other COEIT student organizations to promote CWIT programs and events.
- Assisting with CWIT website redesign and maintenance, and completing other design related projects such as brochures, displays, videos, etc. depending on applicants’ interests, skills, and CWIT needs.
- Working with CWIT staff to plan and implement the Affiliates Peer Mentoring program for approximately 50 new students (primarily women) entering engineering and computing majors at UMBC (mentor/mentee matches, mentor training, etc.)
- Working with CWIT staff to plan and implement other Affiliates events.
- General office support (e.g., maintaining event attendance records, making copies, other duties as needed.
Required qualifications: Candidates must be creative, have good oral and written communication skills, and be able to work effectively independently and as part of a team. Candidates must also be dependable, flexible, and enthusiastic about supporting fellow students. Minimum GPA is 2.5.
Desired qualifications: Ideal candidates will have a combination of the following: previous experience with peer mentoring; knowledge of graphics and multimedia software programs (Photoshop, Illustrator, Publisher, etc.); event planning and marketing experience with a UMBC student organization; and knowledge of or curiosity about engineering and computing majors/careers.
Compensation: Student assistants will work 10 hours per week at a rate of $10 per hour during the fall and spring semesters. Office hours should take place during regular business hours (approximately 9am-5pm, Monday through Friday). Exact hours can be coordinated with CWIT staff upon hire in order to work with the students' class schedules as well as to meet CWIT’s needs. Students may be asked at times to work during an event outside of regular hours.
How to Apply: For best consideration, complete the CWIT Student Assistant Application form by August 4, 2017.