A weekly round-up curated by Women’s Center staff member, Michael Jalloh Jamboria
In the spirit of my friend, who gave us the glorious name ‘Slaying on the Weekly’, every week I will be bringing you some interesting, funny or thought-provoking content from the internet! Be sure to join us next week for more and continue to slay!
Happy Women’s History Month! Join us in celebrating women, their lives, their stories and their resistance.
- Be sure to check out the Women’s Center’s Women’s History Calendar. There are great events and opportunities this month! Hope to see you some of the events!
- In case you needed it, this is your weekly reminder to stay on top of politics, question everything and resist. It’s difficult but your work helps us create a better future. Take a break from the TV and check out What the F*** Just Happened Today?, a chronicle of policy and decisions being made through the current presidency.
- Last week, Trump Signs New Order Blocking Arrivals From 6 Majority-Muslim Countries. Be sure to stay up to date on the issues revolving around this order which went into effect yesterday, March 16th. You can read about UMBC’s response here. (as an FYI, archived messages from the President and Provost of UMBC related to diversity and inclusion can be found on this page)
- UN Says World Faces Largest Humanitarian Crisis Since 1945. If you’re anything like me, you’re wonder what we can do about it. Here is a short list of things we can do.
- Students at UCLA are trying to expand their school’s sanctuary campus policy to include queer, black and undocumented students. Check that out!!
- Have you read Daniel Willey’s post, What Happened to the “Working” in International Working Women’s Day? yet? Check out this amazing read!
- Let’s talk about privilege! Here are 25+ Examples of Western Privilege. How can we start to unlearn them? Come on into the Women’s Center to chat!!
Provost Philip Rous and Vice Provost Simon Stacy came to the Women’s Center to pay us a visit!
Enjoy your Spring Break! See you in two weeks! Same place, same time! Stay safe and continue to slay! Happy Women’s History Month!