Name: Kathleen Bruce
Hometown: Annapolis, MD, USA
Alma Mater: UMBC
1. Where do you work in the library and how long have you worked there?
Circulation department. 2 years as a student assistant, and since April 2012 as a staff member.
2. What would you like the campus community to know about your job?
I take care of the course reserves for the campus. If it’s on reserve, it has passed through my hands. I handle copyright processing on these items as well.
3. What’s your favorite aspect of working at UMBC?
The campus is so familiar to me. Between attending as an undergrad and working here as staff, I’ve gotten to know the community very well. I can honestly say that it is a pleasure to be a part of it all and that I am proud of what we accomplish.
4. Do you have a favorite project, event, or memory from your time working in the library?
The addition of the RLC was a lot of fun for me because I love to see the campus changing. In addition to providing students with a much needed 24-hour study space, it allowed the rest of the library to rethink our layout and service points.
5. If you were a UMBC student, what library services would you use/appreciate the most?
The online database access is extremely valuable. In my first undergrad, I relied on these systems to get me through my late night procrastination projects. Not that I recommend this behavior, of course.
6. If you had to survive on a desert island with only one book, movie, or TV show, what would it be and why?
BBC’s Sherlock. Every time I watch it, I see something new. Also, Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.
7. A wizard has turned you into your favorite animal. What are you?
A polar bear. Appears cute and cuddly, but is not messing around.