Name: Larry Wilt
Hometown: Buffalo, NY, USA
Alma Mater: Binghamton U (NY State)
1. Where do you work in the library and how long have you worked there?
Began in 1981. Director since 1990.
2. What would you like the campus community to know about your job?
A 21st century Library Director has to live in (think creatively about) two places at once: virtual space, to which resources and services are migrating, and physical library space, to which real people come expecting to find supportive work environments.
3. What’s your favorite aspect of working at UMBC?
There are many interesting people here.
4. Do you have a favorite project, event, or memory from your time working in the library?
This dates me as an old-timer, but my favorite project was introducing personal computing to the Library.
5. If you were/are a student here, what library services would you use and appreciate the most?
The group study spaces in the RLC, and also the online full-text information resources.
6. If you had to survive on a desert island with only one book, movie, or TV show, what would it be and why?
A desert island survival manual. “Why?” Really?
7. A wizard has turned you into your favorite animal. What are you?
A human. Second choice: Tyrannosaurus Rex.
8. Anything else you’d like to add?
[Tune in next semester for more staff highlights about the friendly faces of the Albin O. Kuhn Library & Gallery.
Good luck on your finals, and congrats to all the soon-to-be grads!]