This week, the Foundations Work Group of the Strategic Planning Steering Committee will be presenting recommendations at the University Retreat. For those of you unable to participate, here is an overview of some of the conclusions and recommendations the group has devised in the past year.
The Foundations Work Group goal is to continue to build and support the five foundational elements (Investing in People; Funding; Information Technology/ Business Processes; Facilities; and Environmental Sustainability) both maintain current operations and enable advancement. A strong foundation requires that all resources be used strategically, effectively, efficiently, and sustainability
Strategic Planning Steering Committee Foundations Work Group Recommendations- Environmental Sustainability
• Extend learning opportunities
• Reduce energy use through concerted action
• Create accountability and incentives
• Transportation alternatives
Environmental Sustainability Opportunity: Reduce Energy Use Through Concerted Action
1. Conduct life cycle analyses when making building efficiency upgrade decisions.
2. Secure funding and resources, develop policy and leadership to prioritize energy efficiency in buildings and systems at the state, USM and campus levels.
3. Ensure high level, consistent, and vocal leadership from campus leaders.
4. Develop communications, mandates and incentives to promote a spirit of sustainability and mindfulness towards conserving resources.
5. Write sustainability into job descriptions where appropriate, and reward individuals and departments who take initiative to improve and optimize resources efficiency.
6. Increase support and opportunities for eco-ambassadors and green offices through integrated partnerships.
7. Invest in renewable technologies using internal or external funding sources.
How do you think UMBC can conserve and become more efficient with resources, in order to have a more beneficial impact on the planet?