2013 TA Training/Orientation: Teaching & Learning Workshop
For all new TAs and graduate students interested in teaching
Breakfast and Lunch will be served.
- $2000 "Professors in Training" (PROF-it) Opportunities at the Community College of Baltimore County (CCBC) - UMBC/CCBC Teaching Fellows Program
- Teaching Undergraduates Through the "Introduction to an Honors University (IHU)" Program
- "Teaching Disciplinary Thinking"
- Instructional Technologies (Including Blackboard, Bb screencasting, and Bb Collaborate for virtual office hours.)
- Conflict Resolution: What Every TA Needs to Know
- Assisting Students with Disabilities
- Panels of experienced TAs and instructors in Social Sciences and Humanities disciplines, and for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields.
- Lunch Success Seminar on Life/Work Balance (Robert Deluty, Associate Dean of the Graduate School, Associate Professor of Psychology, Affiliate Associate Professor of English, Poet, and Author) [Registration for the lunch seminar: http://my.umbc.edu/groups/promise/events/18328]
8:30 AM: Registration and breakfast in the Engineering Building Atrium
Program elements (above) - Engineering Lecture Hall V
9:00 AM: PROF-it Teaching Opportunities
a) CCBC (Dr. Judith Pollack)
b) Introduction to an Honors University (Dr. Lee Calizo)
c) Opportunities for enhanced training with Skillsoft (UMBC Training Office)
9:30 AM: Instructional Technologies - Blackboard Online Technology for Teaching - includes Bb screencasting, and Bb Collaborate for virtual office hours
(Thomas Penniston, Instructional Technology and New Media)
10:00 AM: "Teaching Disciplinary Thinking"
(Dr. Linda Hodges, Associate Vice Provost, Director of the Faculty Development Center)
11:15 AM: Conflict Resolution
(Stephanie Lazarus, Human Relations Manager)
11:30 AM: Assisting Students with Disabilities
(Cynthia Hill, Associate Provost, Director of Student Success Services)
11:45 AM "Top TAs" Give Advice in Discipline-specific Sessions
Breakout sessions (Discussions include: leading a lab, grading, teaching class, time management, and more.)
a) TAs in CAHSS
b) TAs in CNMS & COEIT
1:00 PM Life/Work Balance Lunch Seminar with Dr. Deluty
(The lunch seminar has a separate RSVP page: http://my.umbc.edu/groups/promise/events/18328)