2012 TA Training/Orientation: Teaching & Learning Workshop
For all new TAs and graduate students interested in teaching
Breakfast and Lunch will be served.
- $2000 "Professors in Training" (PROF-it) Opportunities at the Community College of Baltimore County (CCBC) - UMBC/CCBC Teaching Fellows Program
- Teaching Undergraduates Through the "Introduction to an Honors University (IHU)" Program
- Skillsoft Training (Optional business and project management training for TAs)
- "Teaching Disciplinary Thinking"
- Blackboard Online Technology for Teaching
- Conflict Resolution: What Every TA Needs to Know
- Working with students who have different abilities
- Panels of experienced TAs and instructors in Social Sciences and Humanities disciplines, and for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields.
Lunch Success Seminar on Life/Work Balance (Robert Deluty, Associate Dean of the Graduate School, Associate Professor of Psychology, Affiliate Associate Professor of English, Poet, and Author) [Requires separate RSVP here: http://my.umbc.edu/groups/promise/events/12438]
8:30 AM Registration and breakfast
9:00 AM - 12:30 PM Program elements (above)
TOP TAs (Leading Sessions at 11:45 AM)
Samuel Haile (STEM Moderator, Biology)
Olimpia Perez (Humanities and Social Sciences Moderator, LLC)
Rachel Sturge, Biology
Nandadevi Cortes-Rodriguez, Biology
Nicole Massarelli, Mathematics and Statistics
Anissa Sorokin - LLC
Sarah Wassink Bass - Chemistry and Biochemistry
Ahmed Aleroud - Information Systems
Lawrence Sebald - Computer Science
Latasha Eely - LLC
Daniel Miller - Physics
Fernando Calerdon - Physics
Laura Cooke - MLL/Intercultural Communication
Nichole Stewart - Public Policy
Zois Boukouvalas - Mathematics and Statistics
Colleen Bennett - Gerontology
NOTE: TA breakout sessions will be delineated by general fields: STEM and Humanities & Social Sciences. The following duties will be discussed: leading lab, teaching a class, grading, time management, and more.
1:00 PM Lunch Seminar with Dr. Deluty