Investigators planning or currently performing Department of Energy (DOE) work, please read the below:
The Department of Energy (DOE) has issued an amendment to the DOE Order 142.3a, which provides for an exemption from the Foreign Nationals prior approval requirements for universities conducting fundamental research.
"Portions of this Order relating to approval for foreign national access to DOE information do not apply to research conducted under grants and funding opportunities sponsored by the program offices that report to the Under Secretary for Science and Energy, performed at institutions of higher education, and for which results will be published for access by the general public. Performance of this research is not considered access to DOE sites, information, technologies, equipment, programs, or personnel for purposes of this Order. The work products of this research are not considered DOE information during the performance of the research and after completion of the research. However, the Order does apply to visits by any foreign nationals to DOE sites and any access to DOE information, equipment or personnel not exempted in this paragraph."
This exemption allows for persons who are not U.S. citizens to participate in fundamental research sponsored by one of the below DOE programs or with the below national laboratories.
As investigators work with the Office of Sponsored Programs in the development and routing of DOE agreements, please be aware this amendment will be useful in the performance of fundamental research.
Under Secretary of Science and Energy Programs
* Electricity Delivery and Energy Reliability
* Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
* Fossil Energy
* Indian Energy Policy and Programs
* Nuclear Energy
* Technology Transitions
DOE offices and national laboratories
* Ames Laboratory (AMES)
* Argonne National Laboratory (ANL)
* Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL)
* Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (FNL)
* Idaho National Laboratory (INL)
* LAWRENCE BERKELEY NATIONAL LABORATORY (LBNL)
* National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL)
* National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
* Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL)
* Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL)
* Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL)
* SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory (SLAC)
* Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility (TJNAF)