Apply to become a Maryland-DC Campus Compact (MDCCC) AmeriCorps VISTA with UMBC's Service-Learning Program!
Through partnership with the Maryland-Washington, DC Campus Compact (MDCCC), the AmeriCorps VISTA position will provide leadership in the design and implementation of the Service-Learning & School-Family Connections MDCCC AmeriCorps VISTA project and will serve as the liaison between UMBC and its school partner, Arbutus Middle School. The MDCCC AmeriCorps VISTA will meet with teachers and administrators to devise a plan for increasing student engagement in the Homework Club and will create surveys and assessments to ensure that data is measured on a regular basis. The Information Workshops for parents will address the school’s commitment to provide school-family support. The MDCCC AmeriCorps VISTA will meet with school administrators and parents to create a curriculum plan for the sessions that she or he will also implement and facilitate; surveys and other assessments will be created to ensure that data from sessions is assessed. The MDCCC AmeriCorps VISTA will also recruit UMBC students to participate in service-learning activities that leverage the resources of the campus to meet the volunteer needs of local community programs.
What is AmeriCorps VISTA?
- AmeriCorps VISTA is the national service program designed specifically to fight poverty.
- VISTA members serve as full-time volunteers, organizing and implementing programs that build the capacity of organizations while making resources available to communities in need.
What are the benefits of serving as an MDCCC AmeriCorps VISTA?
- The VISTA member will receive health insurance, a travel allowance (for work-related meetings and events), and a taxable living allowance of approximately $13,000 for their year of service.
- After successfully completing the service year, the VISTA will be eligible to receive either $1,200 in cash or an AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,550 that can be used toward the repayment of student loans or school tuition.
What are the eligibility requirements to be a VISTA?
- A Bachelor’s Degree and driver’s license is required by the start of the VISTA year.
- Commitment to provide one year of full-time service (6/23/14-6/24/14).
- Desire to work on-campus and with a local school partner to combat poverty.
How can I apply?
- Complete the enclosed Intent to ApplyForm and email it to Eloise Grose (email@example.com)in the Service-Learning Program at The Shriver Center at UMBC. Only emailed submissions will be accepted. Eligible applicants will be contacted for an interview.
- For more information about the AmeriCorps VISTA program, visit: http://www.americorps.gov/about/programs/vista.asp
ALL INTENT TO APPLY FORMS MUST BE EMAILED to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Friday, March 29th, 2013.