LSAMP BD Practice Session for GRC 2016 - *ADMIN 218*
Practice of Oral Session with Dr. Tull on March 9, 2016
Wednesday, March 9, 2016 · 9 AM - 1:15 PM
On Campus : AD 218
This session will allow us to prep for the upcoming UMBC GRC on March 23.
You may choose a 30 minute slot, on the hour. Please choose your slot and state your choice in the comments, e.g. 9:00, 9:30,10:00, etc. Please plan to stay for AT LEAST an hour ... two slots ... yours PLUS someone else's so that you can join in the constructive critiquing process.
Currently funded BDs are asked to find slots in the segment between 9 AM and 1:15 PM.
Past BDs are asked to consider joining the sessions to provide constructive feedback. If you need a spot as well, please post a comment below for a slot between 3:15 and 4:45 PM (by February 26.)
Tips in advance, things that will allow us to use our time effectively:
- Remember what you learned from Scott Morgan's talk and from the PROMISE Research Symposium.
- Number your slides
- Do not use font that is smaller than 14 point
- Don't have too much text on the slide
- Be sure that you get to the main idea early.
- Remember the "hour glass" analogy
- Be sure to have the USA Today headline ready.
- Discuss your contribution
- Answer the question: "Why should anyone care?"
- Adhere to the GRC's time constraints - You have 20 minutes.
- Use the "2 minutes per slide" rule (that's 10 slides. If you need more, add only 2 more -- one for the title, and one for the acknowledgments.)
- Remember to stand tall
- Project your voice and make eye contact
NOTE: Be sure that you know the content that is on your slides. During the practice session, you may be asked to do a segment of the presentation without the assistance of your visuals.
LOCATION: ADMINISTRATION BUILDING, ROOM 218