Financial Literacy - Developing a Budget & Personal Finance
w/ K. Harris, MBA -Bedrock Assets, S. Caesar -Money Matter$
Please join us for the inaugural "Go Live" success seminar on "Financial Literacy" with special guests Kevin Harris, CEO of Chicago's Bedrock Assets and General Manger for BP's $100 million international chemical business, and Sonya Caesar (UMBC LLC Alum, Director of Money Matter$ at CCBC). Our guests will talk to us about budgets, spending patterns, debt reduction, and future planning.
- 12:45 - Students arrive, get lunch
- 1:00 - Welcome & Overview of Series
- 1:05 - Overview of the importance of budgeting - Sonya Caesar, Director of Money Matter$
- 1:10 - "Keynote" Budgeting, Saving, Debt, Spending Patterns" & "Future Financial Decisions - How Budgeting Now Can Lead to Financial Savings Later" - Kevin Harris, MBA, CEO of Bedrock Assets
- 1:35 - "Creating a Budget Worksheet" & Report out - Sonya Caesar.
- 1:50 - Q & A
- 2:00 - End formal session
- 2:00 - 2:30 - Informal Q& A and Individual consultations with the speakers.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) has been selected to participate in an “Enhancing Student Financial Education” project for 2013-2015. Chosen as one of 15 awardees in a national competition, UMBC received a grant from the Council of Graduate Schools (CGS), a non-profit organization (www.cgsnet.org) dedicated to advancing graduate education and research. Funded by a grant from TIAA-CREF, a leading financial services organization, CGS will develop models for providing financial education resources that help undergraduate and graduate students manage their money and hone their financial and debt management skills.
Go LIVE! Seminars: UMBC will develop “Go Live” seminars that will showcase financial literacy resources on a new, interactive website. The online topics and segments will be coupled with “live” seminars that will be held throughout the year. Seminar topics include: Graduate Funding, Improving Credit Ratings, Financial Transitions, Life-long, Financial Planning, Budgets, and more.
This seminar is co-sponsored by CGS and Bedrock Assets.