The Albin O. Kuhn (AOK) Library and Gallery is a prominent focal point on UMBC’s campus. Fun Fact: Named after UMBC’s first chancellor, the Library actually sits on the land where Kuhn’s campus house once stood (source).
Whether you’re a frequent visitor or haven’t yet stepped foot inside, it’s important to know just how much the library has to offer UMBC students – beyond its impressive collection of 1 million books.
As a first- year student, take full advantage of these features of the library that will help you with your academics:
- Librarians are ready and eager to offer individualized research assistance for your papers and projects.
- Students have access to the library’s eBook collections, as well as online research and journal databases. Many of these resources are available remotely so you do not even need to go to the library to use them!
- Printers, scanners and copiers are available for student use.
- The AOK Library is connected to a network of other university libraries. Librarians can request materials from another library and have them sent to you free of charge.
- What type of computer do you prefer to work on? The Library has both PC and Mac computers available for student use.
- Retriever Learning Center (RLC) –includes a 24-hour study space equipped with computers, comfortable seating, white boards and a seminar room you can reserve for study groups. The Math Lab and Writing Center are also part of the RLC.
- The library offers spaces for all types of study styles. Whether you prefer total quiet or the opportunity to interact with others, a comfy chair or a sturdy table, you’ll find your sweet spot.
And don’t miss these “extras” that make a trip to the library enjoyable as well as productive…
- Pura Vida Café –located in the main atrium, here you can load up on fair trade coffee, sandwiches, salads and snacks during study breaks.
- The gallery, located off to the left of the main atrium, is considered one of the principal galleries in the region and features art from all over the world (source). The gallery is free to visit and can provide a peaceful break from your studies.
- The 7th Floor of the Library has a beautiful view of downtown Baltimore and campus. Check it out the next time you’re in the building!
- The library hosts a variety of speakers, workshops and events, including a book sale every few months. To stay updated on upcoming events, follow the AOK Library on myUMBC.
As you can see, there is a lot more to the library than you might have originally thought. The library’s main goal is to support you as a student. The more you take advantage of its services, the more you are bound to get out of it. From a convenient space to study, to academic resources and individualized research assistance, don’t miss out all that the library has to offer!
As you prepare for Study Day (December 9th), consider spending some of your day at the AOK. The gallery will transform into a relaxation space for students, including puzzles, a massage chair, and free snacks. For more information, click here.
18 of the World’s Greatest Libraries via Business Insider
A quiet place for 46 years (article on the history of the AOK Library) by Andrew Mayn via The Retriever Weekly
7 Reasons Your College Library should be your Favorite Resource by Casey Reep via USA Today
What is your favorite study spot in the library?